Re: Staging (DESTDIR) directories with libtool 1.5 and HP-UX 11

From: Dano Carroll
Subject: Re: Staging (DESTDIR) directories with libtool 1.5 and HP-UX 11
Date: Mon, 26 Jan 2004 12:45:18 -0600

On Mon, Jan 26, 2004 at 08:45:13AM +0100, Schleicher Ralph (LLI) wrote:
> Hmm, sounds like the "libtool misfeature on HP-UX" thread.  See
> http://mail.gnu.org/archive/html/libtool/2002-05/msg00054.html
> Hope it helps (sorry, no time left to dig deeper in it).

Thank you for pointing that thread out. I looked at that thread at
some length and it does bear some similarities. However, it was
directed at libtool 1.4.3 and had to do with allowing the use of
SHLIB_PATH/LD_LIBRARY_PATH. If I were to use it, I would have to
install the package into the staging directory and then likely have to
fix all the paths in any included scripts, data and documentation
before installing into the final directory. Then the package would
only be usable if I set the SHLIB_PATH/LD_LIBRARY_PATH. This clearly
has some big drawbacks.

Reading the documentation for both libtool 1.5 and 1.5.2, I see:

     `inst-prefix' is also used to insure that if the installed object
     must be relinked upon installation, that it is relinked against
     the libraries in INST-PREFIX-DIR/PREFIX, not PREFIX.

     Thus, end-users need change nothing, and `automake'-style `make
     install DESTDIR=/tmp' will Just Work(tm).

But it doesn't. I'm thinking that I'm just invoking libtool wrong
somehow, or that there is a bug in libtool. I'm hoping that someone on
the list will see my error in the Makefile and point it out. Otherwise
I'll have to file a bug and delve into trying to patch it myself.

Sincerely,
Dano