Linking order

From: Matthew Zeits
Subject: Linking order
Date: Wed, 28 Jan 2004 13:05:14 -0500

Is this a bug or a feature:
I am working on a project that should compile both globally--with prefix unset so install goes to /usr/local/ and with prefix set to an arbitrary directory. When the program links, even if I define an -L or an rpath, it looks to /usr/local/lib for libraries even though I have prefix set to something else and libraries that I am making going there. for instance, if I have:
/usr/local/lib/libsomething.so.1
and
/home/zeitsm/lib/libsomething.so.0
I get the output of ldd as
/home/zeitsm/lib/libsomething.so.0
.
.
.
/usr/local/lib/libsomething.so.1
even when doing the local build...i.e. going into the .lib directory in the source, libtool links the .la file and the /usr/local/lib file? when I changed the revlevel of my library to: /home/zeitsm/lib/libsomething.so.3, it links only against that(or at least ldd reports such), but when I run it, it still looks to /usr/local/lib/libsomething.so.2? I can tell this by moving /usr/local/lib/libsomething.so.2 somewhere else, and the executable complains about /usr/local/lib/libsomething.so.2 missing--even though ldd does not list it as having a path. Is this a feature or a bug?
I am using libtool 1.5.2 and slackware 9.1 on a p4 platform
Matthew Zeits