Re: Libtool link order problem

From: Zachary Pincus
Subject: Re: Libtool link order problem
Date: Wed, 28 Jan 2004 10:52:03 -0800

Thanks for your reply, Peter.

I do agree that libtool is behaving correctly here. However, the fact remains that this "correct behavior" is causing problems with the motif libraries where libXm does indeed depend on libX11 and so forth, but nevertheless, must be on the link line *before* the other libraries.

I don't know exactly why this is, or how it works that way, but the motif guides are pretty clear on this point:
As always for Motif programs, you must specify that you will use the Xm, Xt, and X11 libraries, in that order.
( see http://www.cs.cf.ac.uk/Dave/X_lecture/ node5.html#SECTION00550000000000000000 )

So, does anybody know how in a library's .la file you specify that, yes, a certain library depends on another, but in such a strange fashion that the dependent library must be first on the link line?

Given the common case of these motif libraries, libtool should have such a mechanism, right?

Or am I failing to apprehend something obvious here?

Thanks,

Zach Pincus
Department of Biochemistry and Program in Biomedical Informatics
Stanford University School of Medicine