Re: GNU Libtool 1.5.2 released

From: Bob Friesenhahn
Subject: Re: GNU Libtool 1.5.2 released
Date: Wed, 28 Jan 2004 14:18:59 -0600 (CST)

On Wed, 28 Jan 2004, Andreas Schwab wrote:

> Bob Friesenhahn <address@hidden> writes:
>
> >> [config.log]
> >> configure:5791: /lib/cpp  conftest.cc
> >> cpp: conftest.cc: C++ compiler not installed on this system
> >> configure:5797: $? = 1
> >> configure: failed program was:
> >
> > In my opinion, this is the most grevious existing libtool bug.  The
> > problem is that Autoconf's /lib/cpp tests abort configure if /lib/cpp
> > fails.  However, it may be seen that this is really an Autoconf bug
> > since Autoconf should only require cpp to work for a language if a
> > header is actually tested for in that language.  Libtool does not test
> > for any headers using C++ (as far as I am aware).
>
> Moreover it is wrong to use /lib/cpp for *anything* but C code, IMHO.  In
> recent SuSE versions /lib/cpp has been changed to force C languages mode
> on the preprocessor to workaround that bug.

Autoconf now performs two levels of header tests.  One level is to
check that the header file exists, while the other is to ensure that
it can be entirely preprocessed correctly.  Probably /lib/cpp is used
because it is more work to figure out how to use the compiler as a
preprocessor.

Bob
Bob Friesenhahn
address@hidden