Re: Staging (DESTDIR) directories with libtool 1.5 and HP-UX 11

From: Dano Carroll
Subject: Re: Staging (DESTDIR) directories with libtool 1.5 and HP-UX 11
Date: Wed, 28 Jan 2004 23:16:41 -0600

Well, I spent the last few days hacking at libtool to get it to use a
staging directory on HP-UX the way I would like. I've include patches
for version 1.5's libtool.m4 and ltmain.in. They include work done by
Ralph Schleicher, Albert Chin, and Martin Frydl in the "libtool
misfeature on HP-UX" thread a while back.

Be forewarned, my patch work is quite ugly in places and I have not
tested these on other platforms. Use at your own risk. If you use
them, you will likely get chatr errors when linking but these errors
can be ignored.

The patches accomplish the following things:

1. Make library paths dynamic instead of static.

2. When installing into a staging directory (DESTDIR is used), link
libraries against libraries installed in the staging directory first.

3. When installing into a staging directory, link programs against
libraries installed in the staging directory first.

This last one was the hardest thing to accomplish. I first had to
disable an exit that would occur if libtool could not find the
libraries in their final locations. The warning message is printed,
but processing continues. I then had to modify the wrapper script that
is written when the the program is first linked in the build
directory. I add placeholders that allow me at install time to insert
code that checks for the existence of any requisite libraries in the
staging directory before prefixing the library's path with the
inst_prefix_dir value.

Sincerely,
Dano Carroll