Re: CVS autoconf doesn't like AC_DIVERT_PUSH

From: Gary V. Vaughan
Subject: Re: CVS autoconf doesn't like AC_DIVERT_PUSH
Date: Mon, 02 Feb 2004 12:05:54 +0000

Braden McDaniel wrote:
| Gary V. Vaughan wrote:

|> Braden McDaniel wrote:
|> |

|> `divert'

|> |
|> |
|> | Can someone comment on this? The fix is not at all clear to me. I don't
|> | see AC_DIVERSION_NOTICE being defined by autoconf at all (and the
|> | ChangeLog isn't helpful in discerning when it might have been removed).
|> | Regardless, with respect to the above error message, the definition of
|> | _LT_AC_SHELL_INIT in libtool.m4 seems like it must be invalid.
|>
|> I can't reproduce your problem.  With cvs head of autoconf and automake
|> installed, I can bootstrap, configure, build and install cvs head
|> libtool.
|> The resulting libtool is able to build libltdl, and passes its regression
|> suite.  I can then use the whole lot to bootstrap, configure and build
|> libsnprintfv.
|>
|> Are you using gnu m4?
|

| Yes.
|
|>  Must be a bug in pkgconfig...
|

| I'm not convinced, because it's code in libtool.m4 that seems to break
| reliably. Perhaps libsnprintfv doesn't exercise this code? Try this...
| Put this line (from _LT_AC_SHELL_INIT) in a configure.ac and see if CVS
| autoconf will process it:
|
|   AC_DIVERT_PUSH(AC_DIVERSION_NOTICE)
|
| When I do this, I see the same error I mentioned above.

But libtool.m4 doesn't do that... it says:

ifdef([AC_DIVERSION_NOTICE],
~             [AC_DIVERT_PUSH(AC_DIVERSION_NOTICE)],
~         [AC_DIVERT_PUSH(NOTICE)])

This doesn't error if you put it in a configure.ac by itself.  Is you
libtool.m4 up to date with respect to your ltmain.sh?  Are you using an
ancient libtool (1.4.3 or thereabouts)?

Cheers,
        Gary.
- --