libtool 1.5.x linking regression on Tru64 (-pthread)

From: Tim Mooney
Subject: libtool 1.5.x linking regression on Tru64 (-pthread)
Date: Thu, 19 Feb 2004 12:07:21 -0600 (CST)

I believe I've discovered a regression in libtool 1.5.x, at least on Tru64
UNIX.  I'm using the vendor cc compiler.

Given a project that uses libtool 1.4.3 and also uses pthreads, it's
common to have `-pthread' in CFLAGS when configuring the project.  The man
page for cc defines -pthread as:

  -pthread
      Directs the linker to use the threadsafe version of any library speci-
      fied with the -l option when linking programs. This option also tells
      the linker to include the POSIX 1003.1c-conformant DECthreads inter-
      faces in libpthread when linking the program. This option also defines
      the _REENTRANT macro.

In any case, for 1.4.3 compiling with libtool works correctly, and linking
shared libraries also works as expected.

If the project is updated to use libtool 1.5.2, though, linking fails,
because `-pthread' is now being passed to ld, and ld doesn't understand
that option.

I haven't had a chance to look much at the problem, but thought I would
report it.  Please let me know if I can provide additional information.

Tim
--
Tim Mooney                              address@hidden