Re: libtool-1.5.2 searches /usr/lib before -L<dir>

From: Russ Allbery
Subject: Re: libtool-1.5.2 searches /usr/lib before -L<dir>
Date: Sat, 21 Feb 2004 10:43:22 -0800

Pieter Grimmerink <address@hidden> writes:

> OK, now I've given the library in -L<dir> a .la file as well.  Now both
> libraries have a .la file, and libtool-1.5.2 uses the correct library,
> in -L<dir>. So that's solved then.

So, basically, it sounds like libtool has reinvented the very annoying
Tru64 library search mechanism, where any shared libraries are found
before static libraries regardless of the relative order on the library
path, except as applied to *.la files.

This sounds like a bug to me.  The Tru64 behavior causes no end of
surprises and means that you can't easily link with (often newer) locally
installed static libraries if the operating system happens to come with
some dynamic library by the same name.

What was the reason for this change, or was it accidental?

--
Russ Allbery (address@hidden)             <http://www.eyrie.org/~eagle/>