Re: Problems installing dependant libraries

From: Bob Friesenhahn
Subject: Re: Problems installing dependant libraries
Date: Mon, 15 Mar 2004 08:49:18 -0600 (CST)

On Mon, 15 Mar 2004, Fredrick Meunier wrote:

> Bob Friesenhahn wrote:
> > The fundamental problem is that Automake does not have an overall
> > coherent understanding of the library dependencies when libraries are
> > built using a recursive build.  Without understanding the library
> > dependencies, it is difficult to see how relinking would work.
>
> In my case it is a non-recursive build with _LIBADD entries for all the
> inter-library dependencies, my problem boils down to installations being
> done in the order specified in lib_LTLIBRARIES, even if _LIBADD entries
> list dependencies that are violated by this ordering. As the entries for
> these lists are autogenerated in my project, I would prefer not having
> to hack the generators to mainain a particular order for the libraries
> as this is neccesarily brittle.

I totally agree that Automake has no reasonable excuse for not
installing libraries in the correct order for non-recursive builds.
It has all of the information it needs, and already generates the
correct rules to build the libraries in the correct order.

Since Automake is implemented in Perl, it has plenty of power at its
disposal to compute the correct library installation order.

Bob
Bob Friesenhahn
address@hidden