Newbie libtool help on initial setup

From: Jay West
Subject: Newbie libtool help on initial setup
Date: Thu, 25 Mar 2004 20:13:50 -0600

I have a fairly large C project I've been working on for quite a few years.
Recently I decided to switch to using automake, autoconf, and libtool and
generally GNU-izing the software in preparate for upcoming release (an
emulator for the HP2100 computer systems).

I got automake and autoconf all setup and it works wonderfully and I've been
using it a little while now. The code just started using dlopen libraries,
so I figured it was time to use libtool integrated with autoconf & friends
and I'm running into a problem.

>From my completely working autoconf/automake setup, I added AC_PROG_LIBTOOL
to my configure.in file. I have not yet included the library directory in
the Makefile.am's yet, so the only change is adding AC_PROG_LIBTOOL. I do an
aclocal, autoconf, autoheader, and automake -a. This runs without incident
(and libtoolize). Then when I immediately run "./configure", the tail end of
what I get is this:

checking if the linker (/usr/libexec/elf/ld) is GNU ld... yes
checking for BSD-compatible nm... /usr/bin/nm -B
checking whether ln -s works... yes
ltconfig: you must specify a host type if you use `--no-verify'
Try `ltconfig --help' for more information.
configure: error: libtool configure failed

I wouldn't think I'm supposed to specify a host type, when the distribution
should be able to configure on many different platforms. I tried just
running "./ltconfig ./ltmain.sh" and it generates "libtool". Of course, this
will just get stepped over when I rerun ./configure. Where am I going wrong?

Particulars:
FreeBSD 4.6.2 (old, but the only system I had free for development at the
time)
autoconf 2.53
automake 1.5
libtool 1.3.4
m4-1.4

I've googled and searched and still come up short on understanding. Can
someone steer me in the right direction? Any advice is apreciated!

Jay West