Re: MinGW link against an MS Windows import library

From: Earnie Boyd
Subject: Re: MinGW link against an MS Windows import library
Date: Wed, 14 Apr 2004 11:45:56 -0400

Bob Friesenhahn wrote:

On Wed, 14 Apr 2004, Bill Jones wrote:

I have considered this but do not see it as a practical solution.  I do
not think that it should be the responsibility of every developer to
make a copy of a file simply because the extension is not what libtool
likes.  The .lib extension is a valid extension to Windows and it seems
more appropriate to have libtool conform to that spec under Windows
(MinGW/Cygwin in particular) as I am sure that this will occur
frequently.  Thanks for the response.

Is the .lib format really the same as .a?  I suspect not since .a
suggests that the format is Unix ar format.
More or less the same. There may be a few differences. However, binutils have been able to read the MS produced .lib files for some years now.

Earnie.

--
http://www.mingw.org
http://sourceforge.net/projects/mingw