Re: about libtool's trace interface for tags

From: Scott James Remnant
Subject: Re: about libtool's trace interface for tags
Date: Wed, 14 Apr 2004 19:13:46 +0100

On Wed, 2004-04-14 at 18:45, Alexandre Duret-Lutz wrote:

> Ah, thanks!  Sorry for being dense, but since it takes
> tag names as argument, why is it called _LT_LANG?

Because it actually takes language configuration names, which just
happen to be the same as the tags that get generated.  (There's a patch
floating around by me that breaks that assumption.)

> How about calling it `LT_SUPPORTED_TAG' or something similar?  I
> can supply a patch to rename and document this macro in the
> manual, if that sounds OK.  I really think that this interface
> should be public, like every other traced macros (at least all
> those registered in autom4te.cfg).

Because it isn't public ... LT_LANG is the public-facing version of this
macro, which takes "friendly" names like 'C++' and 'Fortran 77'.  It
then calls _LT_LANG with the internal name, which is the most convenient
trace point for you.

The trouble with making public macros is people will tend to put them in
their configure.ac, no matter how large the instruction telling them not
to.

Scott
--
Have you ever, ever felt like this?