building libtool libraries for multiple ABIs

From: Tim Mooney
Subject: building libtool libraries for multiple ABIs
Date: Tue, 27 Apr 2004 16:58:54 -0500 (CDT)

All-

I've managed to avoid (more like ignore) the issue of how to deal with
multiple platform ABIs and libtool libraries in the past, but I'm
now faced with the issue for real, and I'm wondering if anyone has
any suggestions for "best practices" that have worked for them.

What I'm talking about are platforms (like IRIX and Solaris, but more
recently Linux and Mac OS X) where the OS is capable of running multiple
types of binaries.  For example, on IRIX you have the "64 bit" ABI and
the "new 32 bit" ABI (let's forget about the "old 32 bit" ABI).  Libraries
built for one ABI cannot be linked with objects built for a different ABI,
so the system has "segregated" library directories and the linker chooses
the correct library based on either the command line flags it receives or
the type of the first object file it sees.

If you want to build and install a local package (take for example GSL,
the GNU Scientific Library) that builds a library via libtool, what are
people doing to have the library built for each ABI that a platform may
support?  Has anyone found a better method than configuring the package,
building and installing once, then reconfiguring with CFLAGS and LDFLAGS
set for a different ABI and overridding the library directory, and
building and installing again?  This can become a pretty tiresome
process, especially if you also package your local software (such as
with RPM) and install the package.

How are other people dealing with this issue?

Tim
--
Tim Mooney                              address@hidden