Libtool/MinGW wrapper weirdness

From: Bob Friesenhahn
Subject: Libtool/MinGW wrapper weirdness
Date: Sun, 23 May 2004 19:00:28 -0500 (CDT)

I am currently using a development version of libtool which is about
six months old.

Under MinGW I am seeing behavior I do not understand when executing
the program via libtool's wrapper script.  The strange behavior only
occurs when a modules-enabled build is involved and only if the
program is executed via the wrapper.

If the program is executed using arguments which do not require
modules to be loaded, operation is normal. If a module must be loaded,
then I assume that libltdl is doing something Windows doesn't like
since a pop-up window appears which says something like "gm.exe - Bad
Image", "The application or DLL C:\msys\1.0\local\lib\libiconv.a is
not a valid Windows image. Please check this against your installation
diskette."  I checked my installation diskette but did not find the
problem. :-)

When running a program, a window appears three times with the same
message (always listing a library name with .a extension, but not
always the same library), but after the third time, the program
continues running and appears to display normal output (a line of
output from each module).  The program prints any errors reported by
libltdl, but no errors are reported.

Does anyone know what the executable wrapper or libltdl may be doing
which causes this error message?

On another point, I notice that the generated wrapper script does not
list the application's DLL directory first, which is certain to cause
some problems.  For my build, it lists the install directory first.

Bob
Bob Friesenhahn
address@hidden