Re: searching for libtool.m4 in tests/defs

From: Ralf Wildenhues
Subject: Re: searching for libtool.m4 in tests/defs
Date: Thu, 27 May 2004 18:19:46 +0200

* Gary V. Vaughan wrote on Thu, May 27, 2004 at 05:57:47PM CEST:
> Ralf Wildenhues wrote:
*snip*
> | Automake, a Libtool or a user problem?  Why is there no standard way to
> | ask a libtoolize for its corresponding m4 files (at least, one would
> | think, newer versions would improve this situation)?
>
> That is a good idea.  What do you think the interface should be?  Maybe:
>
> $ libtoolize --macro-files
> /usr/local/share/libtool/m4/libtool.m4
> /usr/local/share/libtool/m4/ltdl.m4
> /usr/local/share/libtool/m4/ltoptions.m4
> /usr/local/share/libtool/m4/ltsugar.m4
> /usr/local/share/libtool/m4/ltversion.m4

As I was very unsure about what tools will ever need this -- maybe.
I'm not sure if I want the switch --ltdl (and whatever other switches
libtoolize will ever have that change the set of macro files) to affect
the output (maybe --all-macro-files as well?).  The other idea that
springs to my mind is to have
   libtoolize --macro-srcdir
give me the directory from which aclocal could pull those macro files.
I'm not in a position to decide as I know far too little about the
overall machinery involved.

Regards,