Re: problems statically linking thirdparty libs and dynamically linking

From: Bob Friesenhahn
Subject: Re: problems statically linking thirdparty libs and dynamically linking glibc
Date: Thu, 15 Jul 2004 09:38:30 -0500 (CDT)

On Thu, 15 Jul 2004, Christopher Baus wrote:

Ok so now I want a static std c++ lib, static thirdparty libs, and dynamic
glibc.  Passing -static to libtool seemed to do nothing.  So, I am now
passing -Wl, -static to libtool.  I now get the following strange error:

/usr/bin/ld: cannot find -lgcc_s

hmm ok

find /usr/ -name *libgcc_s*
/usr/lib/gcc-lib/i386-redhat-linux/3.3.2/libgcc_s.so
/usr/lib/gcc-lib/i386-redhat-linux/3.2.3/libgcc_s.so

Seems to be there.

I've seen it mentioned that this is a bug in g++.  Is that true?  I am at
my wits end here.  Any suggestions?

It is not a bug in g++. The GCC 3.X series introduced a shared libgcc_s.so. There is no longer a static libgcc.

You will not be able to achieve a full static link using GCC unless you configure/build GCC so that it doesn't use shared libraries.

Bob
Bob Friesenhahn
address@hidden