Re: cvs build prob

From: Bob Friesenhahn
Subject: Re: cvs build prob
Date: Tue, 27 Jul 2004 11:23:29 -0500 (CDT)

There must be a syntax which works in all cases. We have encountered (and fixed) this backslash problem before.

Bob

On Tue, 27 Jul 2004, Patrick Welche wrote:

On Tue, Jul 27, 2004 at 04:07:14PM +0100, Patrick Welche wrote:
The great part is this is a ksh quoting problem:
Oh joy... (ksh version @(#)PD KSH v5.2.14 99/07/13.2)

.. and it is explained in TFM:

      The following is a list of things that are affected by the state of the
      posix option:
        o    \"  inside  double  quoted  `..` command substitutions: in posix
             mode, the \" is interpreted when the command is interpreted;  in
             non-posix  mode,  the  backslash  is stripped before the command
             substitution is interpreted.  For example, echo "`echo  \"hi\"`"
             produces `"hi"' in posix mode, `hi' in non-posix mode.  To avoid
             problems, use the $(...)  form of command substitution.

So what now for the libtool point of view?

- I still wonder why ksh is chosen over sh on my NetBSD system.
- Should we "use the $(...)  form of command substitution" "To avoid problems"?

Reminder of the miscreant line:

 output_verbose_link_cmd="`$echo \"X$output_verbose_link_cmd\" | $Xsed -e
\"$no_glob_subst\"`"

(setting set +o posix in configure for the benefit of ksh fixes things too.)

Cheers,

Patrick