--enable-static= behaviour

From: Roger Leigh
Subject: --enable-static= behaviour
Date: Sun, 22 Aug 2004 19:37:48 +0100

In a Makefile.am, I have this:

if BUILD_LIBGIMPPRINTUI2
lib_LTLIBRARIES = libgimpprintui2.la
endif

libgimpprintui2_la_SOURCES =                    \
        printrcy.y                              \
        printrcl.l                              \
        printrc.h                               \
        panel.c                                 \

libgimpprintui2_la_LIBADD = $(GIMPPRINTUI2_LIBDEPS)
libgimpprintui2_la_CFLAGS = $(AM_CFLAGS) $(CFLAGS) $(GIMPPRINT_CFLAGS)
$(GTK2_CFLAGS)
libgimpprintui2_la_LDFLAGS = -release $(GIMPPRINT_VERSION) -rpath $(libdir)

and in configure.ac, I have:

AC_LIBTOOL_DLOPEN
AC_ENABLE_STATIC
AM_PROG_LIBTOOL
AC_SUBST(LIBTOOL_DEPS)

When I configure with --enable-static=libgimpprintui2, it's still
built shared.  All the combinations of
- --{enable|disable}-{static|shared} fail unless I remove the
AC_ENABLE_STATIC line in configure.ac, or replace it with
AC_DISABLE_SHARED (not what I want, unless they are exactly
equivalent--are they?).

What I want is to have all static by default (hence the line), but I
want to build all shared /except/ this library, but I can't find the
right options to do this.

Is this possible?

Also, is it possible to detect whether a given library will be built
static or shared in configure.  I want to build modules if one library
is shared, but link them in statically if not.  Currently this is done
with additional options, but the autoconfiguration is not foolproof.

Many thanks,
Roger

- --
Roger Leigh