Re: libtool 1.5.8 on Solaris 8

From: Ossama Othman
Subject: Re: libtool 1.5.8 on Solaris 8
Date: Fri, 27 Aug 2004 18:46:35 -0700

Hi Jacob,

On Fri, 2004-08-27 at 18:22, Jacob Meuser wrote:
> it uses verbose output to figure out what the compiler will do, and
> then duplicates it ... but the compiler will still do it was doing,
> hence the errors from duplicated objects.  I say "second guess"
> because it acts like it knows what it should do, but causes problems.

Ah, I see.  That certainly wasn't the intent of this functionality.  The
idea was to see what the compiler adds to the link line, and then have
libtool call the compiler in a way that prevents those additional/hidden
object files and libraries from being automatically added to the link
line by the compiler so that libtool could add them to the compiler (not
the linker) link command manually.  With g++, libtool accomplished this
with something like the g++ "-nostdlib" command line option.

That said, I agree that it would be ideal to just have the compiler do
all of this "behind the scenes" instead of libtool doing it manually,
but there must've been a reason why we had libtool do this instead of
the compiler.

-Ossama