Re: libtool 2 and dsohowto's comments?

From: Tero Niemela
Subject: Re: libtool 2 and dsohowto's comments?
Date: Sat, 4 Sep 2004 13:51:59 -0700 (PDT)

Hi,

> > libtool hackers, as libtool 2 seems to be close,
> I'd
> > be intrested to know does it address the problems
> > mentioned in this well-known paper:
> >
> > http://people.redhat.com/drepper/dsohowto.pdf
>
> Care to elucidate?

Section 2.2.6 is all about libtool and its
-export-symbols option. It ends with:

"The only reason this method is mentioned here is that
there is hope libtool will learn about converting the
export lists into the anonymous version maps we have
seen in the previous section when the GNU linker is
used.
At that point libtool will become useful. Until then
relying on its -export-symbols options is misleading
at best."

What ever you might think of that, I really recommend
you to take a look at the paper, it surely has some
good tips!