Re: compile problem

From: Alexandre Duret-Lutz
Subject: Re: compile problem
Date: Wed, 08 Sep 2004 07:28:49 +0200

>>> "Gary" == Gary V Vaughan <address@hidden> writes:

[...]

 Gary> So does that simply mean that libtool objects can be correctly built
 Gary> as subdir-objects without AM_PROG_CC_C_O?  Sorry to bug you, just
 Gary> making sure I understand why you made the patch the way you did...

The purpose of AM_PROG_CC_C_O is to replace CC by the `compile'
script which emulates a compiler that supports `-c -o' when the
real CC does not.  As you pointed out, libtool already supplies such
emulation, so `compile' is never needed when compiling lo files.

[...]

 Gary> Meant to ask, why doesn't AM_INIT_AUTOMAKE (conditionally if
 Gary> necessary) simply invoke AM_PROG_CC_C_O?

We know it's needed only after processing the Makefile.am files.
--
Alexandre Duret-Lutz