Re: Recent patch to pass through unrecognized options in CVS HEAD

From: Gary V. Vaughan
Subject: Re: Recent patch to pass through unrecognized options in CVS HEAD
Date: Tue, 14 Sep 2004 11:55:20 +0100

Hi Albert,

Albert Chin wrote:
> I submitted a patch recently to libtool-patches to pass through
> unrecognized -[arg] and +[arg] switches:
>   http://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/libtool-patches/2004-09/msg00034.html
>
> I just ran across a failure. It seems ok to pass through unrecognized
> switches that do *not* take an argument. However, consider the IRIX
> -woff option:
>      -woff all   Suppresses warning messages.  The -n32 option must also be
>                  specified with this option.
>
>      -woff numberlist
>                  Suppresses warning messages.  numberlist is a comma-
>                  separated set of 1 or more numbersets.  A numberset is
>                  either a simple integer or a pair of integers separated by
>                  a hyphen.  Examples:  -woff 1527 suppresses warning 1527.
>                  -woff 1527-1570 suppresses warnings 1527 through 1570.
>                  -woff 1600-1700,1705-1790 suppresses numbers 1600 through
>                  1700 and 1705 through 1790.
>
> What do we do? Do we have libtool special-case command-line arguments
> that take an argument or revert the patch and special-case what
> command-line arguments we do recognize? I'm leaning towards the
> latter as it will be easier to control.

The effect of the original patch was to reduce the maintenance hassle of
changing libtool after we discover a new option that should be passed through,
and then have everyone wait for the patch to percolate through to a release.
With that in mind, it would be a shame to have to revert the patches now.

Maybe we could mandate that option arguments to be passed through libtool
have to be mangled?  So we'd accept, say, -Woff=all and unmangle it before
calling the compiler...

Cheers,
        Gary.
--