Re: Recent patch to pass through unrecognized options in CVS HEAD

From: Bob Friesenhahn
Subject: Re: Recent patch to pass through unrecognized options in CVS HEAD
Date: Tue, 14 Sep 2004 09:40:04 -0500 (CDT)

On Tue, 14 Sep 2004, Gary V. Vaughan wrote:

Maybe we could mandate that option arguments to be passed through libtool
have to be mangled?  So we'd accept, say, -Woff=all and unmangle it before
calling the compiler...

Libtool is not currently in a position to mandate anything. The crux of the problem is that Autoconf executes compilation commands to perform tests, the results of what it found are (partially) cached in the Makefiles, and then re-played by the Makefiles to perform compilations. As a result, the libtool command line must be similar to what Autoconf and the compiler accept.

Bob
Bob Friesenhahn
address@hidden