Re: Recent patch to pass through unrecognized options in CVS HEAD

From: Gary V. Vaughan
Subject: Re: Recent patch to pass through unrecognized options in CVS HEAD
Date: Tue, 14 Sep 2004 16:39:53 +0100

Hi Bob!

Bob Friesenhahn wrote:
> On Tue, 14 Sep 2004, Gary V. Vaughan wrote:
>> Maybe we could mandate that option arguments to be passed through libtool
>> have to be mangled?  So we'd accept, say, -Woff=all and unmangle it
>> before
>> calling the compiler...
>

> Libtool is not currently in a position to mandate anything.  The crux of
> the problem is that Autoconf executes compilation commands to perform
> tests, the results of what it found are (partially) cached in the
> Makefiles, and then re-played by the Makefiles to perform compilations.
> As a result, the libtool command line must be similar to what Autoconf
> and the compiler accept.

Fair point.

But pragmatically we are not any worse off, and at least we are in a better
position than if we reverted the pass through patches.  Later in the thread
I propose that we can try to maintain a list of argument options that need to
be passed through, and fall back to mangling (with a bug-libtool nag) when we
don't provide any other way for the user to get options to the compiler (until
the next release if they report it)...

Cheers,
        Gary.
--