Re: Recent patch to pass through unrecognized options in CVS HEAD

From: Bob Friesenhahn
Subject: Re: Recent patch to pass through unrecognized options in CVS HEAD
Date: Tue, 14 Sep 2004 12:59:43 -0500 (CDT)

On Tue, 14 Sep 2004, Gary V. Vaughan wrote:

No, I was recommending that we keep the patches to pass through unknown
options, since that leaves only one problematic case: unknown options with
arguments.  Before the patch *all* unknown options were stopped, and we
would be back in that situation if we revert.

Are _you_ saying you want to keep the patch? Or do you want to revert it
too?

Unfortunately, options with argument are normal in the POSIX world so we can expect (and already know) that non-GCC compilers will have many options which accept arguments. Our #1 priority should be to ensure that the compiler still compiles when driven by libtool. If libtool disects options and passes parts through incorrectly then the compiler will no longer compile. It is better to reject/ignore the entire option if it would otherwise not be passed correctly.

Bob
Bob Friesenhahn
address@hidden