Re: Libtool chooses static version of library instead of dynamic?

From: Carlo Wood
Subject: Re: Libtool chooses static version of library instead of dynamic?
Date: Sun, 26 Sep 2004 18:06:46 +0200

On Sat, Sep 25, 2004 at 01:12:58PM +0400, Maarten Boekhold wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Under cygwin I have a Makefile.am that generates a 'libtool --mode=link'
> line that has references to libraries in it like
> "../libs/libxffm_calls.la". When gcc is invoked, this is translated into
> "../libs/.libs/libxffm_calls.dll.a", i.e. libtool chooses the *static*
> version of the library to link against.

That is correct.  A .dll.a is a .a and therefore 'static' but
it is also very small: it only contains stubs that will call
the real functions in the .dll.  The .dll.a is 100% equivalent
to the .lib file that you'd be linking with under windows (and
could link with using gcc (on cygwin/mingw32) except that libtool
needs the extension .dll.a in order to recognize it.

--
Carlo Wood <address@hidden>