Re: libtool and /usr/local/lib

From: Geoff
Subject: Re: libtool and /usr/local/lib
Date: Mon, 27 Sep 2004 19:31:47 +0100

On Mon, 27 Sep 2004 11:06:43 -0701
Jacob Meuser <address@hidden> wrote:

<snip>

> > I guess it is easier to make the symlinks, or reinstall
> > libxml2 in /usr/lib, than to edit all those files.
>
> or just change the above grep command to a sed command.

True.  Trust me to do things the hard way.

By the way, I think you were probably right about libMagick.
Playing around with your script, I eventually found the
libMagick.la in /usr/X11R6/lib and it does depend on
/usr/lib/libxml2.la.

> > > it's best though, when updating/reinstalling a
> > > package, to first completely remove all dependent
> > > packages, then reinstall them.
> >
> > That is something I have wondered about before, but I
> > have run linux now for 5 years (including Linux from
> > Scratch), and I don't recall ever encountering a problem
> > like this one.  I suppose I have just been lucky.
> > Further, my 32 dependent libraries show that finding and
> > recompiling all dependencies in any given case could be
> > a major enterprise.
>
> IMO, such hardcoding of library location should be
> discouraged. why does libtool add the full path of the .la
> wrong, there are other ways to get libtool or the linker
> to find the .la file or at least the library.

And some seem either not to hardcode the path, or use a
mixture of paths that are hard coded and some that are not,
such as my librpm.la

dependency_libs=' -L/usr/lib /usr/lib/librpmdb.la
-L/usr/local/lib /usr/lib/librpmio.la -lrt -lpthread -lbz2
/usr/lib/libpopt.la'

Anyway, I am getting out of my depth here.

Geoff