Re: libtool and /usr/local/lib

From: Jacob Meuser
Subject: Re: libtool and /usr/local/lib
Date: Mon, 27 Sep 2004 14:39:43 -0701

On Mon, Sep 27, 2004 at 10:02:16PM +0100, Geoff wrote:
> On Mon, 27 Sep 2004 15:47:53 -0500 (CDT)
> Bob Friesenhahn <address@hidden> wrote:
>
> <snip>
> >
> > Unknowledgable is not the same as unintelligent.
>
> Thank-you for saving my blushes.

usually two things that have 'and' between them are recognized by
context as being two distinct things.  I do, however, consider it
a sign of intelligence to try to understand how things work.

> > For
> > example, the user was not aware that there was a libxml2
> > under the /usr/X11R6 tree as well as under the /usr/lib
> > tree.  LibMagick was apparently built and tested with the
> > libxml2 under /usr/X11R6.
>
> I may be exposing more ignorance here, but that is not what
> I meant.  At least in my case it seems (am I wrong?), that
> LibMagick was built with the libxml2 which was
> originally under/usr/lib. Thus my
> /usr/X11R6/lib/libMagick.la has :

yes, this makes perfect sense.

> # Libraries that this one depends upon.
> dependency_libs=' -L/usr/X11R6/lib -L/usr/lib -ltiff
> /usr/lib/libfreetype.la -ljpeg -lpng /usr/lib/libexif.la
> -ldpstk -ldps -lXt -lXext -lSM -lICE -lX11 -lbz2
> /usr/lib/libxml2.la -lz -lpthread -lm -ldl'
>
> This is the only libMagick.la on my system.

and if you have only one libxml2.$shared_ext, then there should be
no problem with it being in /usr/lib, or /opt/xml2/lib, or
wherever, so long as you realize that you may need to give
the linker a hint as to where to find it.

--
<address@hidden>