Re: Any way to specify path for *.la files?

From: Bob Friesenhahn
Subject: Re: Any way to specify path for *.la files?
Date: Mon, 18 Oct 2004 19:34:40 -0500 (CDT)

On Mon, 18 Oct 2004, J.T. Conklin wrote:

Before I sent my message, I tried adding -L's to *_LDFLAGS and
dependent *.la's to LIBADD like this:

   libTAO_CosNaming_la_LDFLAGS = \
     -version-number @TAO_MAJOR@:@TAO_MINOR@:@TAO_BETA@ \
     -L$(TAO_BUILDDIR)/tao \
     -L$(ACE_BUILDDIR)/ace

   libTAO_CosNaming_la_LIBADD = \
     libTAO.la \
     libACE.la

This resulted in:
    gmake[1]: *** No rule to make target `libTAO.la', needed by
`libTAO_CosNaming.la'.  Stop.

Can you see what I'm doing wrong from the above Makefile.am snippet?

Yes. The path to the LIBADD .la files must be complete. This aspect does not use -L options to search for .la files. Automake takes care of this part. The -L options are normally used to look for installed libraries referenced like -lTAO. So perhaps

libTAO_CosNaming_la_LIBADD = \
        $(TAO_BUILDDIR)/tao/libTAO.la \
        $(ACE_BUILDDIR)/ace/libACE.la

will work better. I am not sure if Automake allows this part to refer to variables yet though (try it and see).

Bob
Bob Friesenhahn
address@hidden