pthread linking issue

From: Chris Coleman
Subject: pthread linking issue
Date: Tue, 19 Oct 2004 23:39:25 +0100

Hi,

I have a question about the libtool package and automake...

In my configure.in I have AC_PROG_LIBTOOL to set up the necessary bits n bobs. I also have the macro ACX_PTHREAD to determine which threading libraries are needed in order to link my app.

However on the final stage of make (and only since I added libtool to the project) it now fails with the errors below. Now I guess its not linking with the pthread library for some reason. -pthread is what the ACX_PTHREAD macro chooses both on solaris and linux, however if I copy and past the libtool link line at the bottom and change -pthread to -lpthread the final excecutable compiles with no problem. Any clues as to why this is, whats the difference and how to solve it?

/bin/sh ../libtool --mode=link c++ -g -O2 -pthread -o zzserver.C socketexception.o socket.o communicatingsocket.o socketutils.o tcpsocket.o tcpserversocket.o threadpoolserver.o zz_threadpoolserver.o main.o c++ -g -O2 -o zzserver.C socketexception.o socket.o communicatingsocket.o socketutils.o tcpsocket.o tcpserversocket.o threadpoolserver.o zz_threadpoolserver.o main.o threadpoolserver.o(.text+0x2e): In function `threadpoolserver::threadpoolserver[not-in-charge](int, int, int, int)': /home/cqc/zzserver/src/threadpoolserver.cpp:19: undefined reference to `pthread_mutexattr_init' threadpoolserver.o(.text+0x38):/home/cqc/zzserver/src/threadpoolserver.cpp:21: undefined reference to `pthread_mutexattr_settype' threadpoolserver.o(.text+0xae): In function `threadpoolserver::threadpoolserver[in-charge](int, int, int, int)': /home/cqc/zzserver/src/threadpoolserver.cpp:19: undefined reference to `pthread_mutexattr_init' threadpoolserver.o(.text+0xb8):/home/cqc/zzserver/src/threadpoolserver.cpp:21: undefined reference to `pthread_mutexattr_settype' threadpoolserver.o(.text+0x4f3): In function `threadpoolserver::handle_requests_loop(void*)': /home/cqc/zzserver/src/threadpoolserver.cpp:297: undefined reference to `_pthread_cleanup_push' threadpoolserver.o(.text+0x7a8): In function `threadpoolserver::delete_handler_thread()': /home/cqc/zzserver/src/threadpoolserver.cpp:461: undefined reference to `pthread_cancel' threadpoolserver.o(.text+0x84c): In function `threadpoolserver::delete_handler_threads_pool()': /home/cqc/zzserver/src/threadpoolserver.cpp:492: undefined reference to `pthread_join'
collect2: ld returned 1 exit status

If anyone can help out then I'd be much appreciated as I have exhausted just about every keyword combo I can think of in google...

Also, why does it wish to call the final excecutable zzserver.C not zzserver?

Many thanks for any possible help, and apologies if these are trivial questions, I'm new to this and learning alot quite fast so hopefully won't plague you too much ;)

Cheers
Chris