Re: Building all static

From: Bill Moseley
Subject: Re: Building all static
Date: Tue, 2 Nov 2004 07:10:36 -0800

On Tue, Nov 02, 2004 at 08:35:27AM -0600, Bob Friesenhahn wrote:
> The main purpose of building a completely static program is to satisfy
> security or system bootstrap requirements (/usr partition not
> mounted).  It is not always possible to build a completely static
> program.  It is not usually desirable to build a completely static
> program.  Completely static programs don't necessarily work properly
> when copied to a somewhat different processor type with the same OS,
> or a different kernel version.

My situation was someone wanted to use the program on their ISP that
didn't allow shell access -- but they could ftp a program to their
account.  So they wanted to build statically and not depend on their
ISPs libraries at all.

My (less then helpful) suggestion to them was to get another ISP, but
the still wanted to try the static build.

--
Bill Moseley
address@hidden