Re: -framework/libtool version question

From: Abhijit Mahabal
Subject: Re: -framework/libtool version question
Date: Sat, 6 Nov 2004 12:29:29 -0500 (EST)

On Fri, 5 Nov 2004, Peter O'Gorman wrote:

> Abhijit Mahabal wrote:
>
> > hi, I am trying to compile perlqt on OSX10.3, and getting the "cannot find
> > the library `'" message, and some googling told me that I should upgrade
> > my libtool. I could't figure out whether the developmental release (1.9f)
> > would be good enough for me, or whether I must use the CVS version.
>
> 1.9f should be fine, please let me know if you have any problems.

I was unable to get stuff working. I must confess that my grasp of auto*
is somewhat shaky: After upgrading libtool to 1.9f, automake to 1.9.3, and
autoconf to 2.59 I essentially tried running all the following commands in
various orders: libtoolize, autoupdate, autoreconf, aclocal, and of course
autoconf/configure/make. To no avail, always getting

libtool: compile: ignoring unknown tag CXX
libtool: Version mismatch error.  This is libtool 1.9f, but the
libtool: definition of this LT_INIT comes from an older release.

autoupdate was noisy:

autoupdate: unknown set: .: AC:acinclude.m4:m4_location(AC_OUTPUT_SUBDIRS)
autoupdate: unknown set: .: AC:acinclude.m4:AC_OUTPUT_SUBDIRS
autoupdate: unknown set: .: AC:acinclude.m4:m4_location(KDE_PATH_X_DIRECT)
.... etc

as was aclocal:

configure.in:234: warning: underquoted definition of KDE_CHECK_SMOKE
configure.in:319: warning: underquoted definition of MDL_HAVE_OPENGL
configure.in:431: warning: underquoted definition of MDL_CHECK_LIBM

.... etc

To sum up: I am lost. I would appreciate any help in the form of "do this"
or "read that".

Thanks,
abhijit

Abhijit Mahabal      http://www.cs.indiana.edu/~amahabal/