Re: Library search path and cross-compilation

From: Ralf Wildenhues
Subject: Re: Library search path and cross-compilation
Date: Tue, 9 Nov 2004 08:07:02 +0100

Hi Sasayama,

* Sasayama wrote on Tue, Nov 09, 2004 at 05:26:52AM CET:
> I'm trying cross-compilation of libtoolized packages and have problems.
>
> First, libtool searches /lib, /usr/lib, and /usr/local/lib for .la files
> instead of implicit library directories for cross-compilation, and fails
> to link unless I specify those directories explicitly.
>
> Second, since the .la files specify the library directories in the
> target environment, they must be modified for successful
> cross-compilation. This requires me to maintain two versions of a .la
> file, one for target and the other for host.
>
> Third, if I have worked around the second problem, libtool sometimes
> embeds host directories in the run path which is wrong in the target
> environment.
>
> Is there any idea to solve them? Or does a newer developer version
> already has support for cross-compilation? I have version 1.5.10 now.

Cross-compilation support is still quite bad in Libtool, as you've
had to learn the hard way.  I think it's a worthwhile goal, however,
and would be happy to see patches improving on that matter (while not
removing otherwise necessary functionality).

| [-- Attachment #2: tte_sasayama.vcf --]

Please do not use binary attachments in mailing lists -- thank you.
(Might help you get through more spam filters.)

Regards,