Re: TODO

From: Alexandre Duret-Lutz
Subject: Re: TODO
Date: Wed, 10 Nov 2004 09:53:37 +0100

>>> "Bob" == Bob Friesenhahn <address@hidden> writes:

 Bob> On Wed, 10 Nov 2004, Alexandre Duret-Lutz wrote:
[...]
 >> 1. install all programs and libraries without relinking (in random order)
 >> 2. relink everything (in random order)
[...]

 Bob> I don't believe that this would work since dependencies are inherited
 Bob> at link time based on existing registered library dependencies.  This
 Bob> means that a library may link against a wrong library version, and the
 Bob> error would propagate.

 Bob> Automake can at least keep its part of the house in order by ensuring
 Bob> the correct library install order within the same Makefile.  It does
 Bob> build the libraries in the correct order, assuming that LDADD has been
 Bob> used properly.

I'm afraid I'm lost.  I understand these two paragraphs as

  1. dependencies are inherited at link time
  2. libraries are already built (hence linked) in the correct order

So when are the incorrect dependencies registered?  At relink-time?
Can't those of link-time be used?

 Bob> One approach which could be used is for libtool to support a mode
 Bob> where it is provided with a list of all the .la files for libraries to
 Bob> be installed, and libtool returns a re-ordered list which is ordered
 Bob> by increasing dependency.  Automake would then use this to order its
 Bob> installation of libtool libraries.  Efficient implementation of this
 Bob> capability in bourne shell sounds quite challenging.

Not only that, but also supporting a arbitrary installation
order of libraries in multi-Makefile projects.
--
Alexandre Duret-Lutz