Re: TODO

From: Ralf Wildenhues
Subject: Re: TODO
Date: Wed, 10 Nov 2004 10:09:08 +0100

* Alexandre Duret-Lutz wrote on Wed, Nov 10, 2004 at 09:53:37AM CET:

>  Bob> Automake can at least keep its part of the house in order by ensuring
>  Bob> the correct library install order within the same Makefile.  It does
>  Bob> build the libraries in the correct order, assuming that LDADD has been
>  Bob> used properly.
>
> I'm afraid I'm lost.  I understand these two paragraphs as
>
>   1. dependencies are inherited at link time
>   2. libraries are already built (hence linked) in the correct order
>
> So when are the incorrect dependencies registered?  At relink-time?
> Can't those of link-time be used?
>
>  Bob> One approach which could be used is for libtool to support a mode
>  Bob> where it is provided with a list of all the .la files for libraries to
>  Bob> be installed, and libtool returns a re-ordered list which is ordered
>  Bob> by increasing dependency.  Automake would then use this to order its
>  Bob> installation of libtool libraries.  Efficient implementation of this
>  Bob> capability in bourne shell sounds quite challenging.
>
> Not only that, but also supporting a arbitrary installation
> order of libraries in multi-Makefile projects.

Just to throw in random ideas:
Let libtool output Makefile snippets in .libs/Makefile.libdep at link
time, providing dependency information based on what it knows then.
`make' is the canonical program to deal with topological sorting.

Let make use these at install time, maybe through a generated script or
some other mechanism (so that the Automake-generated Makefiles do not
have to depend on .libs/Makefile.libdep to exist).

No, I have not thought this through.

Regards,