Re: TODO

From: Peter O'Gorman
Subject: Re: TODO
Date: Wed, 10 Nov 2004 21:40:41 +0900

Hi Gary,

Gary V. Vaughan wrote:

Jolly good. ;-)  When this thread dries up, can you summarise it back into
the TODO file in Libtool please?

Sure.

Post 2.0:

1. Generate a libtool.m4 from a bunch of individual file, one per
platform, to make the job of a "platform maintainer" easier and make it
easier to add new platforms.

Seems like a good idea, but I think it will prove difficult in practice --
unless we redo the way we have written all the macros.

I think that it is a good enough idea to be worth discussing some more
though.  How do you envision the architecture for parsing and using the
platform chunks?

Well, I haven't thought about it really, I was vaguely imagining running a perl script during bootstrap which would take the bits and pieces and put them all together. I am told that xslt could do this too. The point being that we'd end up with the same (more or less) libtool.m4 as we have now, it would just be a heck of a lot easier to find the bits and pieces related to specific platforms, and would leave the platform independent stuff in a single file.

3.5.  While we are there, maybe internationalise libltdl?

I tend to agree with Ralf that we'd need to be careful that someone running libtoolize to get ltdl did not also get a requirement to have gettext.

9.  Cross compilation test cases.

Well, we just need lots and lots more test cases. We need platform specific test cases, platform indep test cases, test cases per bugfix (as Ralf did today), etc, etc.

Peter
--
Peter O'Gorman - http://www.pogma.com