Re: TODO

From: Bob Friesenhahn
Subject: Re: TODO
Date: Wed, 10 Nov 2004 08:47:00 -0600 (CST)

On Wed, 10 Nov 2004, Gary V. Vaughan wrote:

The main issue I see with using embryo (or small, or Java) or any other
byte-code/VM based machine is that it seems to make it much more
difficult for the end-user to fix problems on their end.  With the
existing libtool they can hunt and peck through the scripts and
implement local fixes, which may eventually become useful patches sent
back to libtool. With a scheme which distributes "compiled" bytecode
files, there is no possiblity of the end-user fixing the problem unless
he installs the full libtool distribution package to he can modify the
bytecode.

That would be no less true of a compiled ltmain.c.

Even with a compiled ltmain.c, I expect that the platform specific rules would be encapsulated in data files rather than being compiled into ltmain.c. That would allow end-users to adjust the rules. Ltmain would simply be a rules processor.

It is possible to also distribute the byte-code compiler so the end-user can modify source code, but the byte-code compiler is much larger and more complex than the byte-code execution processor so the size advantage is lost.

Bob
Bob Friesenhahn
address@hidden