Re: TODO

From: Scott James Remnant
Subject: Re: TODO
Date: Wed, 10 Nov 2004 15:43:48 +0000

On Tue, 2004-11-09 at 14:24 +0000, Gary V. Vaughan wrote:

> 6.  Absorb the functionality of the aberration called pkg-config.  Libtool
>     already has all the information it needs, we just need to teach it (or
>     maybe a subsidiary script) to spit out link flags after poking around
>     in a dependency chain of .la files.

There's actually a couple of things pkg-config does that Libtool doesn't
currently do.  pkg-config's main job can be summed up simply as enabling
parallel-installed -dev packages.

Principally it provides the right -L and -l flags to link libraries, we
can get this from Libtool.  An an improvement would then be only
providing the dependency -l flags on platforms that need it, and not on
Linux for example.

However it *also* provides the right -I flags to point at the include
files.  A GTK+ application will '#include <gtk/gtkbutton.h>' for example
and require -I/usr/include/gtk-2.0 to actually be able to find that (or
-1.0, -3.0, etc.)

Scott
--
Have you ever, ever felt like this?