Re: TODO

From: Daniel Reed
Subject: Re: TODO
Date: Sun, 14 Nov 2004 13:35:14 -0500 (EST)

On 2004-11-14T08:50-0000, Scott James Remnant wrote:
) On Fri, 2004-11-12 at 11:20 +0000, Gary V. Vaughan wrote:
) > Haven't thought through the -I thing yet though... maybe that doesn't
) > belong in libtool... maybe we could provide a macro that can intuit
) > include directories from .la locations... I dunno...
) The most common arrangement is libraries in /usr/lib and includes
) in /usr/include/<package>-<version> ... so not easy to intuit like that.

That appears to be common of GNOME components, but does not appear to be
common in the general case. (Automake's includedir location defaults to
prefix/include and its pkgincludedir location defaults to includedir/name,
not includedir/name-version.)

The following packages on my FC4 machine have versioned pkgincludedirs:
        apr  atk  at-spi  bonobo  dbus  devhelp  eel2  evolution
        evolution-data-server  gail  gal  gdk-pixbuf  gedit  gimp  glib
        glib2  gnome-desktop  gnome-keyring  gnome-libs  gnome-mag
        gnome-panel  gnome-speech  gnome-vfs  gnome-vfs2  gnopernicus
        gstreamer  gtk+  gtk2  gtkhtml  gtkhtml2  gtkhtml3  gtksourceview
        gtkspell  howl  libart_lgpl  libbonobo  libbonoboui  libcroco
        libgal2  libglade  libglade2  libgnome  libgnomecanvas  libgnomecups
        libgnomeprint22  libgnomeprintui22  libgnomeui  libgsf  libgtop2
        libIDL  librsvg2  libsoup  libwnck  linc  metacity  ORBit  ORBit2
        ots  pango  startup-notification  subversion

Of that list, I believe only apr, ots, and subversion are not GNOME
components.

Also of that list, only the following did not appear to have .pc files
installed:
        apr  gnome-libs  subversion

Just as another point of data, the following packages on my FC4 machines
have .pc files installed:
        aiksaurus  aiksaurus-gtk  alsa-lib  atk  at-spi  audiofile
        bluez-libs  bonobo  dbh  dbus  devhelp  eel2  esound  evolution
        evolution-data-server  fontconfig  freetype  fribidi  gail  gaim
        gal  gamin  gawk  GConf  GConf2  gedit  gimp  gkrellm  glib  glib2
        gnome-applets  gnome-bluetooth  gnome-desktop  gnome-icon-theme
        gnome-keyring  gnome-mag  gnome-media  gnome-mime-data  gnome-panel
        gnome-pilot  gnome-python2  gnome-speech  gnome-utils  gnome-vfs2
        gnopernicus  gok  gphoto2  gstreamer  gstreamer-plugins  gtk+  gtk2
        gtk2-engines  gtkhtml  gtkhtml2  gtkhtml3  gtksourceview  gtkspell
        hal  howl  ImageMagick  imlib  libao  libart_lgpl  libbonobo
        libbonoboui  libbtctl  libcroco  libdv  libexif  libgal2  libgcj
        libgda  libglade  libglade2  libgnome  libgnomecanvas  libgnomecups
        libgnomedb  libgnomeprint22  libgnomeprintui22  libgnomeui  libgsf
        libgtop2  libIDL  libidn  libmusicbrainz  libogg  libpng  libpng10
        libraw1394  librsvg2  libsilc  libsoup  libuser  libvorbis  libwnck
        libwpd  libxfce4mcs  libxfce4util  libxfcegui4  libxklavier
        libxml  libxml2  libxslt  linc  metacity  mozilla  mozilla-nspr
        mozilla-nss  nautilus  nautilus-cd-burner  neon  NetworkManager
        openssl  ORBit  ORBit2  ots  pango  planner  pygtk2  pyorbit  qt
        rhythmbox  shared-mime-info  speex  startup-notification  valgrind
        vte  xemacs-sumo  xfce4-panel  xfce-mcs-manager  xffm  xmlsec1
        xmlsec1-openssl  xorg-x11

Of this second list, most of them appear to be either a) GNOME components,
b) GNOME-related/integrated software (gaim, ImageMagick), or c) software
maintained by people who are also GNOME developers (*xml*).

(The .pc file gawk installs is a README for "pc" versus "hpux" or "atari" :)

I would be very interested in researching how Libtool can help with multilib
builds. Other than that cause, however, I am not sure there exists a real
demand (outside of GNOME) for the features PKGConfig offers that Libtool
does not already provide.

(My own machines without GNOME or even X installed only have .pc files for
valgrind and/or openssl, and do not have PKGConfig installed. They do,
however, have many .la files. On my machines with a C++ compiler installed,
there is a g++-3 directory in /usr/include; on machines without, there are
no versioned include directories.)

--
Daniel Reed <address@hidden>    http://people.redhat.com/djr/
http://naim.n.ml.org/