Re: TODO

From: Gary V. Vaughan
Subject: Re: TODO
Date: Mon, 15 Nov 2004 12:11:26 +0000

Ralf Wildenhues wrote:
I've been away for a few days..

* Gary V. Vaughan wrote on Sun, Nov 14, 2004 at 09:44:19PM CET:

Scott James Remnant wrote:

They're both trying to deal with platforms like Solaris that don't have
a needed-following link loader.

That's a good idea, if we know the linker can find deplibs without
help, we should take advantage of that to shorten the link line!
Please add it to TODO.

Seconded (or thirded, or whoever also wants this).
On systems where deplibs are handled by the linker,
libtool should give the advantage back to the user.
IMVHO this is actually increasing the value of libtool,
because it allows the user to make use of the features
of the underlying system.  Just let the docs explicitly
tell that the non-implicit dependencies on other systems
will lead to more work for the end-user there.

No need for that.  It should all be transparent to the user.
Libtool will continue to use its long deplib link lines unless
it knows that the host platform can follow deplibs on its own,
in which case it only adds the direct dependencies to the
link line, and trusts the linker to find the deplibs.

Cheers,
        Gary.
--
Gary V. Vaughan      ())_.  address@hidden,gnu.org}