Re: TODO

From: Ralf Wildenhues
Subject: Re: TODO
Date: Mon, 15 Nov 2004 15:38:04 +0100

* Peter O'Gorman wrote on Tue, Nov 09, 2004 at 02:46:09PM CET:
> I just want to get some possibilities out there into the ether. Feel free
> to add more bits/say which bits are silly.
>
> Post 2.0:

glibc HEAD NEWS has:

| Namespaces in ld.so are implemented.  DSOs can be loaded in separate
| namespaces using the new function dlmopen().  This feature is of course,
| like most other dynamic loading functionality, not available in statically
| linked applications.  Implemented by Ulrich Drepper.

I have not yet looked at the exact semantics.  But we can look if we can
support this (and maybe also add the semantics to ltdl-preopened libtool
libraries).

Furthermore, wrap
| New functions `dladdr1' and `dlinfo' in <dlfcn.h> provide more ways to
| interrogate the dynamic linker, compatible with the Solaris interface.

because in some cases ltdl can provide some of the additional
information.  Actually, I haven't looked at the specs, so maybe all we
need to do is nothing/just use the new functions if they are available.

After all, Libtool is GNU software, and should work nicely on GNU
systems, right?

Regards,