Re: libtool 1.5.6 still not supporting make distcheck

From: Sean Dague
Subject: Re: libtool 1.5.6 still not supporting make distcheck
Date: Tue, 16 Nov 2004 11:56:11 -0500

On Mon, Nov 15, 2004 at 04:20:05PM +0100, Ralf Wildenhues wrote:
> * Sean Dague wrote on Thu, Nov 11, 2004 at 09:45:40PM CET:
> > The issue I reported a couple weeks ago is still there.  We have now tracked
> > down based on a number of versions of libtool to figure out what works and
> > what doesn't.
> >
> > libtool 1.4.x - all versions work that we've tried
> > libtool 1.5.2 - works
> > libtool 1.5.6 - doesn't work
> > libtool 1.5.10 - doesn't work
> >
> > The end of the logs are included at the end of this email (on libtool
> > 1.5.6):
>
> First: Your build is not VPATH clean, because you are doing a lot of
> symlinking by hand in several Makefile.am's.

Yes, we are doing this because there is a need to build test cases which use
our real code, and the symlink solution seemed to be the most workable.

> First, you should be using $(LN_S) together with AC_PROG_LN_S for symlinks

Agreed, making that change now

> second you should link to $(srcdir)/relpath/$@ instead

Also agreed, making that change now

> third you should probably instead just
> be using AC_CONFIG_LINKS and be happy that you don't have to care about
> this yourself.  All explained in Autoconf docs.

I'll look into that possibility as well, though wouldn't that require
centralizing all linking code to configure.ac, instead of letting the
Makefile.am deal with it locally?

> Apart from these changes, `make distuninstallcheck' is the first part of
> `make distcheck' to complain, and it complains about some files which
> `make uninstall' misses to remove.  This is with the HEAD branch as well
> as branch-1-5 of libtool.
>
> So, can you try either the patch from
> http://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/bug-libtool/2004-10/msg00170.html
> and possibly branch-2-0 from CVS?  Please tell us your findings.

I will check it out and report my results.

> > What is most interesting is that the
> > /home/sdague/tmp/am-dc-21838//home/sdague/openhpi/openhpi-1.9.3/ directory
> > doesn't exist at all on my system.  That seems to be created very late in
> > the make distcheck processing, but why it isn't there I'm not sure.
>
> I /think/ this has nothing to do with your problem (though I cannot be
> sure, as I haven't understood what went wrong), and is fine because
> `make distcheck' is attempting a DESTDIR install.
>
> BTW, you did not mention your system at all, neither whether you are
> doing a VPATH build or not.  All of this would have been helpful (still
> is if the problem remains unsolved), also whether or not an installed
> version of your package exists on your system or not.

Excuse my ignorance, but I'm not sure of what a VPATH build is.

The system I am running on is Mandrake Linux 10.1 on x86 (we've seen the
failure with FC3 as well).

There is not and installed version of the libraries on my system.

Thanks for your help,

        -Sean