Re: Patch for Portland compiler support

From: Jeff Squyres
Subject: Re: Patch for Portland compiler support
Date: Wed, 17 Nov 2004 09:43:45 -0500

On Nov 17, 2004, at 9:38 AM, Ralf Wildenhues wrote:

Some of the consumers of our software use the Portland Group compilers
(http://www.pgroup.com/).  Libtool 1.5.x doesn't seem to recognize
these compilers, and therefore doesn't always do the Right Things.

Libtool doesn't know about Portland's compilers at all (so far).

Gotcha.

I have *barely* dived into the libtool source, but I have come up with
a patch for the current CVS branch-1-5 that seems to make libtool do
the Right Things for pgcc on Linux (I didn't try for an analogue on the
CVS trunk for the 2.x series).  Could this patch be considered for
future releases of Libtool?

Actually, I'm wondering about the name.  There has once been a pentium
gcc, abbreviated pgcc as well.  How unfortunate :(
I don't know how much the pentium gcc is still in use, but the fact that this one is not meant deserves at least a comment within the m4 snippet.
Looking at its webpage, it looks pretty dead, though.

Yikes! I had no idea about pentium-gcc. I trust your judgment on this one -- if it's ok with you guys to ignore, I'm happy to ignore it, too. ;-)

(Fortunately, gcc on linux understands all the variable values you've
submitted so far.  We might just get away with it anyway.)

But certainly there will be more problems with pgcc?  What about pgf77
and pgCC?  Could you or one of your consumers be bothered to try
branch-2-0 of libtool (1.9f will do fine as well) and report us more
possible problems its testsuite reports (VERBOSE=x output for failed
tests is good), so that we can support it right, not only halfway?
(This is the more interesting for you since we won't bother much with
libtool-1.5 any more as soon as 2.0 is out).

Shirley -- I can do this right now.  I'll post back shortly.

Do you/your consumers use pgcc on Windows?  That's probably going to be
a whole different (and scarier) story.

Unfortunately, no. We have a Cygwin port, but to my knowledge people only use gcc with it there.

[snippage]
Please forgive me if this patch is egregiously wrong -- if it is, any
advice on making it Right would be tremendously appreciated!

Looks good. The branch-2-0 equivalent would be similar -- just grep for
ccc in libtool/m4/libtool.m4.

Will do.

I'll check into CC/f77 issues and post back with a new set of patches -- for 1.5.x and 2.x.

Thanks!

--
{+} Jeff Squyres
{+} address@hidden