Re: Patch for Portland compiler support

From: Jeff Squyres
Subject: Re: Patch for Portland compiler support
Date: Thu, 18 Nov 2004 08:01:34 -0500

On Nov 18, 2004, at 3:49 AM, Ralf Wildenhues wrote:

I did [at least] one questionable thing: in the Linux linker
section, I had to check for pgf77 or pgf90, because, contrary to the PG
documentation, pgf77 and pgf90 need an additional "-fpic" in their
linker command to create a shared library properly.

Is this necessary for just a regular shared library or for a shared
module (that can be loaded with dlopen)?  If the former, then I think
your patch is ok.

It seems to be necessary even for normal shared libraries -- without it, I get an error from the Portland linker.

Glancing at libtool.m4, there are a number of cases where it's
necessary, maybe we should put them in a separate variable, like
pic_link_flag or so.  That'll only be for libtool HEAD, though.

Sounds reasonable.

Here's the revised patch (including some fixes from this morning; based
on tests, not the PG documentation ;-) ):

Note that branch-2-0 tests are somewhat more challenging, esp. on the
Fortran front.  I might want to wait with applying this patch until you
get to those (in case you find out more necessary stuff there).
Other than that, I'll take the patch.

That sounds like a reasonable plan. Let me port this over to the CVS HEAD and see if it helps refine the 1.5 patch. Today's pretty hosed for me; I can probably get to this tomorrow or over the weekend.

Many thanks.

--
{+} Jeff Squyres
{+} address@hidden