Convincing Automake to support libtool

From: Bob Friesenhahn
Subject: Convincing Automake to support libtool
Date: Sat, 20 Nov 2004 18:03:54 -0600 (CST)

I am using Autoconf 2.59 and Automake 1.9.3. I am trying to update my project to use the latest development libtool 2.0 (1.9h). Libtool 2.0 eliminates AC_PROG_LIBTOOL and uses LT_INIT instead. My project is using Automake includes so each subdirectory has its own Makefile.am file which is included into the top Makefile.am file.

The problem I am having is that Automake is not detecting that I am using libtool. It seems to depend on seeing AC_PROG_LIBTOOL in configure.ac. Somehow it does detect that the libtool test suite is using libtool. The test suite does not use Automake includes.

Automake is producing an error message like:

coders/Makefile.am:172: Libtool library used but `LIBTOOL' is undefined
coders/Makefile.am:172:
coders/Makefile.am:172: The usual way to define `LIBTOOL' is to add
`AC_PROG_LIBTOOL'
coders/Makefile.am:172: to `configure.ac' and run `aclocal' and `autoconf'
again.

What should I do in order to encourage Automake to believe that libtool is in use?

Bob
Bob Friesenhahn
address@hidden