Re: Using libtool 2.0 in autoconf tests

From: Sander Niemeijer
Subject: Re: Using libtool 2.0 in autoconf tests
Date: Mon, 22 Nov 2004 17:00:53 +0100

Oversimplifying, but: In a configure script, you can spell
`libtool -[options] [objects]' as `LT_CHECK_LIB([options], [objects])'.
Maybe we need LT_LINK_IFELSE instead/as well.

What I need is a replacement for the LT_AC_LINK_SHLIB_IFELSE macro in:
  <http://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/libtool/2004-10/msg00222.html>

So I would rather see at least a LT_LINK_IFELSE and second probably also a LT_CHECK_LIB.

Remember that I mentioned in a previous email that the target is important. Having just one LT_LINK_IFELSE is maybe not enough (unless we allow some parameterization), since a test that produces a program does not necessarily have to have to same result as a test that produces a shared library (for instance when trying to link with a static library). And maybe we also need to have a special case for modules.

Second, my test relied on the fact that libtool produced an error when I was trying to link a static library against a shared library (something most linkers will happily accept, right?). Any LT_LINK_IFELSE macro implementation should have this same check (and for that matter any other check that an actual libtool script would perform).

Best regards,
Sander