Re: libtoolize: `configure.ac' does not exist

From: Peter O'Gorman
Subject: Re: libtoolize: `configure.ac' does not exist
Date: Wed, 24 Nov 2004 12:42:51 +0900

Ross Boylan wrote:
$ libtoolize -n
libtoolize: `configure.ac' does not exist
Try `libtoolize --help' for more information.
$ libtoolize --version
libtoolize (GNU libtool) 1.5.6

I am trying to use libtool/libtoolize in a project without autoconf or
automake.  I had thought this was possible from various docs,
including the (somewhat dated) "GNU Autoconf, Automake and Libtool
Book" and the fact that an option to libtoolize is
    --automake        work silently, and assume that Automake is in
    use
which seems to imply it could work without automake.

My theory is that libtool/ize actually requires automake.  Is that
correct?  If not, can anyone give me any clues about what's going on?

libtool does not require automake (although automake does make life easier), it does require autoconf.

Peter
--
Peter O'Gorman - http://www.pogma.com