Re: Relocatable libraries with libtool--can I do it?

From: Paul Smith
Subject: Re: Relocatable libraries with libtool--can I do it?
Date: 25 Nov 2004 10:33:58 -0500

%% Ralf Wildenhues <address@hidden> writes:

  rw> Only one question for now (I don't know enough about the problem space
  rw> yet), concerning notation:

  rw> _Relocatable_ IMHO is a package which can be installed (literally
  rw> copied to) in /usr or /usr/local without any difference.

  rw> You do not really need *relocatable* libraries, right?  You only
  rw> do staged installs (by using DESTDIR), and all you ever move
  rw> around is the staging area.  The place where the library will find
  rw> itself at the time it is used by ld.so is fixed from the very
  rw> beginning, right?  This is a significant simplification and
  rw> required from libtool's point of view.

  rw> Can we agree on this notion of relocation and staging?  It corresponds
  rw> to what the Autotools manuals use.

I guess I'm talking about build-time relocatability, not runtime
relocatability.

The one thing that makes me wary of the term "staged installs" is that
it implies to me (but maybe it's just me) that the install, while being
made to a staging area, could be static.

That is, you can stage it to a different place than the runtime location
during the install, say with "make install prefix=...", but once it's
there it can't be moved.

As long as it's understood that the requirement is that the staging area
itself is fully independent and can be relocated ("relocatable
staging"?) then I'm happy with the term "staging".

Cheers!

 Paul D. Smith <address@hidden>   HASMAT--HA Software Mthds & Tools