real short TODO summary

From: Peter O'Gorman
Subject: real short TODO summary
Date: Sun, 28 Nov 2004 00:14:46 +0900

libtool todo list

Sort out the macro mess in libtool.m4.  We've started this already
by refactoring chunks into separate files, but I never did completely
untangle the mess of macros imported from ltconfig.

Finish the rewrite of the core libltdl.  The loaders are fine, and
the outlying code is now good.  Ralf is starting to pick away at a lot
of the remaining nasties already, but the code for finding .la/.so files
and reading/loading them could use a lot more improvement.

Get rid of the shared libdlloader.

I think we could factor out a little path management support module
from existing libltdl.  This would be useful for M4 at least -- keeping
track of FOO_PATH environment contents, searching for files in paths
etc.

Figure out how to make pkg-config aware of the information libtool knows
about libraries and their dependencies, and send a patch.

Work out what to do when the dynamic linker loads needed dependencies.
{Ralf is looking now}

Look again at a binary C libtool, or byte-compiled libtool to improve speed.

Generate some "platform specific" shell functions with config.status,
for example, there is no need to have the C source code for the wrapper
script on non-windows platforms, this will make the generated libtool
script smaller and easier to follow, maybe a little faster too?

Fix cross-compiling.

Fix threads.

Change libltdl interface: add separate functions for function
pointers.  This will allow porting to systems where function pointers
are incompatible with data pointer C-wise.

Support multilibbing.

Automake - unifying locks between libtool and compile.

Automake - Eeek! Fix relinking.

Support dlmopen dladdr1 and dlinfo in libltdl [I totally disagree with
this one Ralf, libltdl is a portability library, none of these functions
enhance portability in any way]

Add i18n strings to libltdl, ensuring that package developers can ignore
any i18n when they libtoolize.

Test everything:
cross compile
dirs with ~
automake subdirs

Rewrite everything in perl, and use xml and xslt just to annoy Gary.

Dropped:
Generate a libtool.m4 from a bunch of individual file, one per platform,
to make the job of a "platform maintainer" easier and make it easier to
add new platforms. [ Unless I suddenly see a way to do it "cleanly" ]