Re: another 1.5 release

From: Daniel Reed
Subject: Re: another 1.5 release
Date: Fri, 3 Dec 2004 11:20:36 -0500 (EST)

On 2004-12-03T08:33+0100, Ralf Wildenhues wrote:
) * Daniel Reed wrote on Fri, Dec 03, 2004 at 12:36:24AM CET:
) > It's looking like I may be able to get current Libtool into the final RHEL 4
) > release.
) Great!  How much time do you have left?

The final cut off was a few months ago, but there was a final final cut off
more recently, and an even more final cut off on the sixth (this Monday).
The practical final final cut off is the sixteenth, with the ISO images
being created the next day. However, QA will hate me with an increasing
percentage of "forever" the closer to the sixteenth I build :)

) Technical issues with the patch:
) - Why is, after your patch, $found set twice before searching (is there a
) reason for this)?

Libtool seems to use the state "$found = no" (the literal check "$found !=
yes") for the dual use of failure and success with non-Libtool library. I
added a third state of "$found = unknown" to mean failure "so far" in the
search and kept "$found = no" to mean its original meaning. Libtool never
checks for "$found = no", only "$found != yes", so this should not cause a
behavior change outside of the search code.

) - You search -print-file-name with all extensions before searching other
) paths with all extensions.  I think this is ok, but am not totally
) convinced.

The original logic used the same algorithm: Search for each extension in
each directory. The patch just inserts a check for each extension in gcc's
search path between half of the directories.

) - What about other compilers on linux?  I know icc knows
)   -print-file-name=  in version >= 8.0 (but, depending on whether it
) sees the option `-no-gcc' or not, it will be detected as gcc anyways).
) I'm pretty sure pgi compilers do not understand this switch.

I only checked GNU Libtool against the GNU Compiler Collection. I am not
sure what the best way to identify the feature in other compilers would be;
it was very easy to key off of $with_gcc :)

The patch should theoretically allow multilib on non-Linux systems as well.

--
Daniel Reed <address@hidden>    http://people.redhat.com/djr/
http://naim.n.ml.org/